Meet Sharon Quinn
"What you have accomplished in the past is a much stronger example than
talking about what you are capable of doing in the future.
Actions do speak louder than words!" - Catherine Pulsifer
Happy New Year Family!
A new day has dawned and a new year is upon us. Despite the
gloomy economy, 2008 managed to be a stellar year in accomplishments
for and by plus sized women around the world. Among the
• Toccara became the first plus sized model to appear in the pages of Vogue Italia.
• Crystal Renn became the first plus sized model to make the cover of and get a 14-page layout in Elle Italia.
• Plus Size Designer Abby Z. opened her flagship store in Soho.
• Milan opened Fashion Week with designer Elena Miro's plus sized collection.
• Jordin Sparks won an American Music Award.
• Jennifer Hudson, Maiysha, Jazmine Sullivan & Ledisi all received Grammy nominations!
• Rolling Stone Magazine declares Aretha Franklin "The Greatest Singer of All Time!"
And in Television:
• DeShawn Snow manages to come out smelling like a rose on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta".
• Mia Amber holds her own against Janice Dickinson on "The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency".
• Whitney Thompson becomes the 1st Plus Sized Model to win on "America's Next Top Model".
• The Plus Model Episode of "Made" wins a Daytime Emmy for the series!
And a few disappointments:
• P. Diddy & Rip The Runway 2008 After
unsuccessfully trying to eliminate the plus sized showcase from the
show; producers cut the segment down to 2 minutes 37 seconds (from
start to finish) making the most popular segment of the show the
shortest segment in the history of the broadcast.
• Wyclef Jean Who had the nerve to believe (and say) that 200 1bs. would actually break a damn stage!
• Essence Magazine's Plus Size Issue Came and went without so much as a whimper.
• Rosie Live! Well I'm not gonna waste anymore
space panning this one...the critics already did a real nice job of that.
"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put
words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first
chapter is New Year's Day." - Edith Lovejoy Pierce